painted string

just the knitting

Friday, July 07, 2006

Dulaan Contributions


So maybe one post per month will be my knitblog quota, although I would like to do more than that...we'll see. Meanwhile here is the stuff I sent for Dulaan, mailed right at the buzzer to arrive for July 1:
Elizabeth Zimmerman's Tomten Jacket, made with lots of random Bartlett acquired at the Maine Common Ground Fair several years ago. The sleeves are mismatched because I kept running out of wool, and tried to make it kind of decent despite this, because I just couldn't bring myself to rip. This was my first attempt at zipper installation and I have to say it was much easier than I anticipated. I used the often-linked tutorial at Bonne Marie's site and had no problems at all. I'm excited to use the technique again, as I love a good zippered cardigan. I expect this sweater to fit a kid maybe 5 years old, although I could be way off.
Also this little pile of very warm hats:

Three adult and two child sized. I have to say that I'd always thought charity knitting to be sort of, well, fruitless or something. To take so much time to make just *one* sweater when there are machines that could knit hundreds of sweaters in just as much time...I guess I just didn't get it before. But now I do, and the thought of a little kiddo halfway around the world wearing something that I knit myself with love just warms my heart and I loved doing it. I wish thie revelation had come a bit sooner in the year so I could have made more!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonne Marie said...

I love love LOVE your Totem jacket! Wonderful and beautiful - well done!

Thanks so much for the kind words as well - your generosity is sure to be appreciated by the Duulan's

12:05 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

sarah has a blog! sarah has a blog!

(And re: the thermal challenges of an alpaca pullover... I know. But I'm blinded by love.)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

That sweater/jacket is sooo cool! I want one!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home